Monday 10 May 2021

Mimi Mendip

251 Menlove Avenue
Woolton,
Liverpool,
Lancashire,
England

Circa 5 September 1960, John Lennon sent his Aunt Mimi a postcard from Hamburg. 



Dear Mimi,

Sorry I haven't written much but we're terribly busy and don't finish playing 'till about 2 in the morning and by the time we've eaten we're "dead beats."

This is the street we playing (the little yellow bit at the end). I'll write a proper letter soon as I get time. I hope you're well and everything  and don't worry about me I'm eating and sleeping well and keeping out of trouble xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    Ok and no trouble. I'll be home in 5 weeks I think (we might be going to Berlin).

cheerio,

Love John


You can just imagine Mimi simultaneously smiling and tutting as she read it. 

The postcard appears in the new book, The Beatles Mach Shau in Hamburg, by Thorsten Knublauch, which looks to be the final, definitive word on the Beatles in Germany. 


The first run of 500 copies has already sold out. A reprint is currently underway, and you can order a copy here

No comments:

Post a Comment